Gardella graduates in engineering in 1928 and is a rigorous interpreter of Rationalism in the 1930s, with buildings such as Alessandria’s Anti-Tubercular Dispensary (1936). After WWII his buildings are embellished with elements from the rural tradition, such as the Borsalino Houses once again in Alessandria, (1952).
His House at the Zattere in Venice (1957) is one of the most widely acclaimed examples of introducing modern architecture into a monumental historical setting.
He also designs products for Azucena, Gavina, and Kartell. He wins the President of the Republic’s Gold Medal at the Venice Biennial (1996).
He has been an honorary member of RIBA and the Academy of San Luca.